19 February 2012

What's in My Minimalish Closet

WARNING - this post over-utilizes parenthesis. 
Grammar junkies should proceed with caution!

I read a lot of minimalist blogs, books, and other various articles. It seems listing ones clothing is a popular trend, so I'm hoping onboard.

You can tell a lot about a person's life by the clothing in their closet - church clothes? executive suits? lots of exercise wear? lumberjack flannels? etc, etc... Last year, I took two intercontinental trips - one to South America and one to West Africa. I learned that everything I really need to survive will fit in my backpack. Aside from overseas trips though, I do normally keep a few more items in my closet. I've gone through phases of cleaning it out and then adding a few items back in, but in general, this is what I keep:


The Staples:
I work at a church. A super casual church. So for me, work clothes = church clothes = everyday clothes
- four pairs of jeans (for winter)
- four pairs of khakis (for Spring, Summer & Fall)
- two pairs of summer capris ('cause these pasty white legs do not come out from hiding, not even for 100+ degree weather)
- three sweaters
- one fleece pullover
- two fleece vests - these are the staple of my wardrobe.. shhhh.. don't tell the fashion police
- seven long sleeve t-shirts (that I rotate under the fleece vests)
- ten t-shirts (at least 4 too many)

The Other Stuff:
- one funeral/wedding dress (that I've yet to wear)
- one pair of dress pants
- one long skirt that fits, and one that I love too much to donate just incase it ever fits again
- one fun medium length skirt
- four "dressy" shirts to mix and match with skirts, dress pants, or even jeans on a date night

Lounge wear:
.. and yes, this should be one item instead of one subheading, but I spend a lot of time at home in my PJs/Yoga pants (even though, I've never come close to striking a yoga pose)
- three pair of comfy PJs/lounge-y sleep/exercise pants (they could be used for exercise should I ever decide to do something other than swim)
- one pair of legit jammy pants
- one ratty but uber comfy long sleeve t-shirt
- two ratty but super soft hand-me-down t-shirts from my husband. (I especially love to sleep in these when he is traveling - it's kinda' like he's not gone... kinda')
- two old souvenier t-shirts that I won't wear in public, but can't bear to part with.. yet.

Stored in my Global Adventure Tote:
- three long skirts (because while I dream of the beach, I "vacation" in West Africa)

- two pair of running/biking shorts (because I HATE wearing skirts, and these make it bearable)
- one pair of paint pants
- one pair of flip flops for walking
- one pair of flip flops for showering (I use the term "showering"loosely. Anytime you need footwear to shower, it's not exactly your marble-tiled-hot-water-flowing shower... think more along the lines of bucket with cool water)

Shoes:
- one pair of running shoes (which is kinda funny since I have a serious aversion to running)
- one pair comfy walking shoes (purchased for winter in Peru, but also handy for a rainy day in North America)
- one pair of Keen's - hiking/sandal hybrid
- one pair brown boots (because I love them)
- one pair black boots (on the verge of donation)
- one pair of Toms (summer closed toe shoes for when I don't feel like painting my toenails)
- one pair of purple high heels (for very special occasions)
- one pair of Tevas that need to be replaced because I wear them every chance I get
- one collection of Uggs: Dakotas, Bailey Button, and  Everas (which were supposed to replace the Dakotas, but I haven't let them go yet)

Eleven pairs of shoes is a bit much for a true minimalist, but not so bad for an average American girl, right? Yet again, that's why I'm content to be minimalish.


If you liked this post, you may also like How Culling My Closet Made Me A Better Shopper








No comments:

Post a Comment